I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with cleaning. When I was pregnant I had to take maternity leave early, so I filled my day with cleaning. And a mammoth afternoon nap, obviously!
It was something I genuinely enjoyed, and became a bit obsessed with. Then A was born, and I was so busy, I started to hate it. A’s dad went back to work after paternity leave and I was left with a baby to look after, dinner to cook, and a house to clean. I even said the words ‘I didn’t have a baby to become a housekeeper!’ Oooh don’t mess with the sleep deprived new mum!
It took me a long time (a good year!) to get myself in to a decent routine cleaning wise. During the past few weeks I’ve amped it up, and getting a bit obsessed!
We live in a 3 bed, 3 bathroom new build. Very fancy. We actually only use 1 out of 3 bathrooms would you believe! So thankfully, the other 2 don’t get dirty as quickly. I try and do as much cleaning as I can in the morning, then I’ll do the rest at night.
The only way I stay organised and on track, is with a schedule. So I hope mine gives you some inspiration to make your own! I don’t have times on my schedule as I never know what we’ll be doing in the day, I just know that everything on the list needs to be done before I go to bed.
Daily cleaning schedule:
- Make beds and put all washing in the basket
- Blinds/curtains open and windows open
- Dettol spray bedding and then Zoflora!
- Washing up, drying + putting away as required
- Washing machine, tumble dryer + put away as required
- Sweep the floors as needed – normally 3/4 times a day, I have a very messy toddler!
- Wipe down kitchen surfaces as required – I use dettol anti-bac wipes in the day and Zoflora before bed
- Wipe down kitchen appliances – microwave, kettle, coffee machine, toaster
- Zoflora in drains – normally every time after I wash up
- Quick check of the food in the fridge for expiry dates – I will admit I am very OCD with this and I won’t eat anything if it’s on the expiry/best before date or after!
- Bins emptied and dettol’d – I put some kitchen roll in the bottom of the bin and pour a bit of Zoflora on it so the bin doesn’t smell, and the difference from before I started doing this is amazing!
- Dust shelves, pictures and TV
- Wax melts burning!
- Dettol spray – door handles, light switches, plug switches
- Dettol spray and Zoflora spray on sofas
- Dettol toys before bed
- Sweep and mop the floor before bed
- Clean and dettol downstairs toilet and sink
- Zoflora in bathroom sink and toilet – once a day
- Dettol spray – door handle, light switch
Reading back through that list sounds like a LOT of cleaning, but its actually really not! I break it up over the day so it a manageable and I fit it in when A is watching tv, eating or asleep.
Those are my daily cleaning tasks, so here are my weekly and monthly.
- Wash, dry and put back bedding every Friday
- Dust the bannister and stairs window ledge
- Organise paperwork in my office
- Clean upstairs bathrooms
- Clean the fridge and freezer with antibacterial wipes/spray – please make sure it is safe to use around food! And don’t put the food back in the fridge until it is completely dry
- Clean inside microwave and toaster
- Empty bathroom bins
- Clean mirrors and windows
- Cream cleaner on all of the taps
- Clean washing machine – I put a dishwasher tablet in the powder section of the drawer and fill the liquid part with Zoflora and put the machine on the highest wash. Your washing machine will look cleaner than ever and the smell is amazing!
- Clean inside kitchen cupboards
I’m sure you can tell from this post I have a bit of a Zoflora and Dettol obsession – to read about my favourite cleaning products, check out this post.
Is your cleaning routine similar? I’d love to read yours!